Monday, December 21, 2009

Chess as War

Here's something I'm blogging simply because, I like it. What is it? It's Mexican artist Ivan Puig's take on the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima:


And he has another similar photograph, this time a decimated battle-scene composed with chess pieces:


And . . . that's it. What a great idea, though. Artists! More of this kind type of thing, please. And not necessarily battle scenes either. Say, how about chess pieces posing in the Last Supper, for starters?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBC4 10pm tonight
'How to win at Chess' with
Daniel King and Ray Keene.

It may be partly aimed at
beginners, but certainly
worth a look.

George

ejh said...

I didn't think Ray had won a game in the last twenty-five years or so.

Tom Chivers said...

v Emma Bentley.

Tom Chivers said...

I should add - thanks to ejh for translating my email to Ivan, and click here for better versions of the photographs.

Anonymous said...

The blog seems to be getting v artistic lately. To balance this up perhaps you could refer to Chandlers chess videos on you tube. His channel is "superrampant". The videos are highly original, funny and in their own way are tistic.
Joe S

Anonymous said...

I just saw "How to win at chess" on BBC iplayer. It being a "King Penguin" production I was expecting David Attenborough to do commentaries. I thought the best quote from RK was "always give check, you never know it might be checkmate !" Personally I prefer Chandlers videos (not as funny but more instructive)
Joe S